Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Sue and Mo at Harris Beach
Sue and Mo at Harris Beach

Friday, March 22, 2013

Sometimes going to the coast isn't about the ocean

Harris Beach State Park, Brookings, Oregon. 52 degrees F and clear

Of course, it is always there, in the background, low rumble below the cliffs. On a chilly, sunny, breezy day, however, it might be about the coastal forest. It is our lazy, do nothing but enjoy day, and after a slow morning, we decided to walk some of the trails around the park.

The light was beautiful, that brilliant contrasts stuff that makes all photographers crazy. Backlit moss that looks very nearly fluorescent against the dark, wet spruce bark. Shamrocks every shade of green on the forest floor. I left the Nikon behind this time, telling Mo, "Just how many photos can I take at Harris Beach, anyway?". "What in the world can I possibly write about or blog about that I haven't already done a dozen times?"
Yet here I am, with only the iPad, trying one more time to capture that backlit brilliance. Sometimes in that place between sleep and dreaming I let my mind wander to moments of light in my life, simple moments that have this brilliance. It is better than counting sheep.

We will go down to the beach this afternoon, but for the moment Mo is outside reading, and I am here writing. Supper will be easy and we will eat by the fire. Today we won't wait until chilly dark for the camp fire, we will start it early.
I filled out my morning talking with friends and daughters on the phone, leisurely phone calls that were heart warming. Or maybe that was yesterday. I am on ocean time, even if it isn't about the ocean.


14 comments:

  1. Beautiful post and beautiful pictures. Sounds like just what you need...maybe what all of us need once in a while.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a cool post, photos and all. Felt like I was right there with you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The contrasts that make photography so impossible is just it. No way to truly capture what we see. This sounds and looks just like my kind of day in my kind of place. I sure hope I'll get to see it in person some day.

    ReplyDelete
  4. enjoy the 'ocean time'! great photo of the 'shamrocks'!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. That sounds like my kind of day and place too. I always wish I was a better photographer to be able to actually capture some of the beauty that I see with my eyes, but can't get on "film."

    It does sound like this trip is just what you needed.

    Take care.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I am so happy you had something to take these absolutely beautiful pictures. How peaceful a place you found and gave to us your readers.

    ReplyDelete
  7. We're ready.......for an overnight trip to the beach. Harris is one of our favorites. Great pictures. I also love the smells of the forest..

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos and so peaceful. We can't wait to get out to the ocean again on our way home.

    ReplyDelete
  9. You done good with the Ipad pictures, I wouldn't have guessed it wasn't with a "real" camera. :c)

    ReplyDelete
  10. A nice combination of the sea and moody forest trails.

    ReplyDelete
  11. We love the pictures --- especially the shamrocks. This post is raising our anticipation of our own trip to the Oregon beaches in June. Thanks for the teaser!

    ReplyDelete
  12. It's funny that you can always find the need to take more pictures, isn't it? Pretty area!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beautiful and serene photos. Thank you so much for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. After all that work, you deserve a vacation. Looks like a fantastic place to enjoy!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments