Winter Sunshine

Winter Sunshine
Winter Sunshine in the Desert

Saturday, August 13, 2011

It’s not over yet

Maligne Lake Jasper NPI woke up this morning missing Alaska and the Highway, the open road with no cars, the memories of the road to Valdez, the road to Haines, the utter silence of Joe Lake on the Denali Highway only a memory in my mind. We are parked in the Wal-Mart in Cranbrook, British Columbia, just 50 miles north of the border and this morning will be traveling to visit our friends in Bonners Ferry and spending the night there.

To Jasper Day 37_4899I have the past three days still to talk about and remember, thank goodness I have the photos to remind me.

I still have the camera to take the photos which is amazing, but that also is part of the story still to write.  These last few days have all run together, filled with the magnificence of the Rockies, Alberta and the beautiful Canadian National Parks.  There are still gorgeous photos of beautiful mountains and lakes to come, the rest of the story is still to be written. The stats of the trip to soon be calculated, more than 7,000 miles so far and more to come.

I took this from the MoHo window with the regular lens, no telephotoParking at the Wal-Mart here has been delightful.  It was a long day yesterday trying to find a place to be on a hot August Saturday night in an area that is focused on golf and resorts. Wal-Mart is filled with RV’s, but still not as crowded as the slide to slide packing we saw in the few RV parks we passed yesterday afternoon.  We have free Wi-Fi right here in the rig from the McDonalds down the street. Enough for now, just know that there is more to come.  We still have several hundred miles to go before this trip is finished.

I had no clue that the trip would be as amazing as it turned out to be.  I had no clue Alaska and the Yukon would capture me the way it did.  I had no clue.  Enough for now.  There will be plenty of time to write about the past few days on the long road home.

9 comments:

  1. We loved Alberta and the Canadian Rockies. Saw a lot of wildlife in that area. So glad you have had such a good time but sorry it is coming to a close. But your memories will last a lifetime. Have loved following along on your journey with you and Mo.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I seem to recall being in Cranbrook one time back in the early 70's. I'm sure it's much different now but the mountain & forest scenery will still be the same. You seem to have covered a lot of ground rather quickly. I understand that feeling when an area impacts a person so greatly. I'm sure I would feel the same way if I were to travel where you have traveled. It's not a tourist thing, it is much more than that when the land speaks to you & what you are seeing is only a small part of what you are feeling.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm sorry but I just can't keep from laughing about the difference in being stuck in a Walmart parking lot in Cranbrook and the beautiful scenic photos in your blog!

    Talk about a contrast!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Spectacular pictures! We sure have enjoyed reading about your travels. Thanks so much!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Places that bring peace and solitude get ahold of you and don't let go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Its a lot of miles, but a trip you will never forget.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I very well know about how Alaska and the Yukon can capture you! I so wish I could do it again on my own schedule...

    ReplyDelete
  8. so glad to hear that Alaska has captured your heart!..your memories of this once in a life time trip will live on forever in your blog and in your mind!!!..we have so enjoyed riding in the backseat!!

    ReplyDelete

I love your comments, they add so much, but to avoid ridiculous amounts of spam, I will be moderating comments